Consequences of War
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Consequences of War

A record of our adventure

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Attacks against grappled targets?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
SodaPopinski

SodaPopinski

Character sheet
Character Name: Soda Popinski
Level: 6
Classes: Barbarian V, Fighter I

Attacks against grappled targets? Empty
PostSubject: Attacks against grappled targets?   Attacks against grappled targets? I_icon_minitimeFebruary 5th 2015, 2:24 pm

So I've been working on adding a bit more *Pop* to Soda Popinski, and noticed that with tavern brawler, you can grapple when you land a melee attack. The book says that a grappled target's speed is reduced to 0, and it can't take reactions against other enemies, but are there any bonuses you get to creatures you are grappling? Ex: If I were to punch a target I was grappling, would that give me any bonuses?
Back to top Go down
Wellby

Wellby

Character sheet
Character Name: Wellby Goodhill
Level: 8
Classes: 3 Rouge, 5 Warlock

PostSubject: Re: Attacks against grappled targets?   Attacks against grappled targets? I_icon_minitimeFebruary 5th 2015, 3:23 pm

nope. The trick if you want to beat the heck out of them, is to then shove the creature down while its grappled. Your still standing, they are knocked down so you then have advantage on the attacks then and they have disadvantage on you. They cant stand up till they break the grapple because their speed is 0 and so have no speed to spend to stand up.
Check out the grapplers guide in the dnd forums has a large amount of information thats useful:
http://community.wizards.com/forum/player-help/threads/4142801
I also run a grappler in AL games.
Also I would recommend totem archetype bear so you can survive getting hit.
Also take a level dip or two into rouge for expertise and cunning action. Or bard for expertise.
Unarmed strikes alone would require dipping into monk with the empty hand style to get the damage up (unless you go druid and be a bear).
Other than that to increase your damage in turn you would need to drag them across map hazards (spikes, aoes that deal damage when you move into them)
Back to top Go down
Wellby

Wellby

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Attacks against grappled targets?   Attacks against grappled targets? I_icon_minitimeFebruary 5th 2015, 3:36 pm

Your mostly going to be able to lock down one monster at a time.
Back to top Go down
Wellby

Wellby

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Attacks against grappled targets?   Attacks against grappled targets? I_icon_minitimeFebruary 9th 2015, 8:23 pm

Also if your characters strong enough. A dm might allow you to use your grappled target as a weapon on someone else. Making inventive use of grappling is part of the fun.
For example: I killed a zombie using a kobold I had grappled while in full rage last sunday night. Slammed the kobolds face into the zombie and did enough damage that it failed it save and the kobold died from the impact. I later named my new weapon "Excalibold"
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Attacks against grappled targets?   Attacks against grappled targets? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Attacks against grappled targets?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Consequences of War :: Out-of-Character :: General Discussion-
Jump to: